When invited to Facebook Business Manager, you will receive an email that looks like this:
There are 2 ways you can accept this invitation:
- Linking your existing personal account [recommended] or
- Creating a new Facebook account (see below).
Option 1: Using an existing account
Click the link in the invitation email and link your existing Personal Facebook Account. Facebook will not share any personal information from your personal account with the town. This is their official statement you will see when linking your account:
Having just 1 Facebook account is the way facebook intends their service to be used and thus this is also the easiest way to manage your Facebook Page (DPW, Police, Fire, etc). You will be able to manage your page from your smartphone without having to switch accounts.
To link your account:
- Click the “Get Started” link in the invitation email. (It might be in your SPAM box, search for “Town of Sudbury has invited you to work”)
- Step 1: Enter your name – Type your name on the first page. This name will be used in Business Manager, but will not be shown on your page posts.
- Step 2: Verify with Facebook – Verify your Facebook account by entering the username and password you use on Facebook
- Step 3: View your Page – You will then be redirected to the Business Manager Homepage. You will see all pages you’ve been assigned to. Click on any of these pages to view or manage them.
Option 2: Creating a new Account
If you really don’t want to use a personal account, or you don’t already have a Facebook account, then you can create a new account. Please beware that this is technically against Facebook’s 1-person-1-account policy and might lead to technical difficulties when managing your page.
Facebook is a community where people use their authentic identities. It’s against the Facebook Community Standards to maintain more than one personal account. – https://www.facebook.com/help/975828035803295?helpref=uf_permalink
To create a new account, first log out of any existing facebook accounts, then follow the instruction on https://www.facebook.com/help/570785306433644?helpref=hc_glo bal_nav. You can use your work or personal email address for this account, but please remember the password and use a valid phone number. Information Systems cannot reset this password for you.
Once you have created your account, go back to the invitation email sent to you and click the link. At this point, follow the steps on the screen and login with your newly created account as you would in Option 1.